Saturday, August 21, 2010

Imagine

Hi! A few of you have asked if I used gloves to protect my hands from the inks, this time around I didn't, I only got a little bit of ink on my hands, but nothing too bad. The cs I used was pretty thick. I would recommend using the wax paper and maybe some newspaper or a couple of sheets of recycled paper underneath just in case. As for rubber gloves, go for it. Hope this helps.
Hello, I'm back. Making some cards today and catching up on some laundry. Luckily it's cooled down quite a bit, so I am really enjoying that.
Traci Porter is hosting CA&F Whatcha Tootin' Wednesday. This week's challenge is all about spray ink. She's posted an awesome tutorial on her blog and on the CA&F blog. Please make sure to check them both out.
I've only done this technique one other time and that was at my friend, Angie's, Stampin' Up camp. She had more re-inker colors than I do, but I thought of another idea. I only have one re-inker and no sprays but I thought I could use my Copic marker refills and some water instead. Hey why not? They are the same right? Well if not, shoot me. hahaha (j/k)
First off, I cut some white linen like Neenah paper to make my spray ink dp, then I crumpled it to give it texture once the inks were soaked in. I used Pacific blue re-inker that I found, E21, R20 and B000. I dropped a little bit of drops on a sheet of wax paper and let them run together in some areas. Next I took the crumpled white paper and soaked it in the mixture. I had to use a few drops of E21 & R20 for some parts of the paper that had more white than any other color. Once I achieved the right balance of colors I sprayed Smooch Spritz (Vanilla Shimmer) to give the paper some shimmer. I purchased it at a show last year. Pretty stoked I finally get to use it because of this challenge. Works pretty well and the best part is the shimmer it gives the paper. Love it! I think they worked out quite well, sort of got a tie-dyed thing going on. While the paper was drying, I was stamping and coloring Mermaid Anya to use as my focal character. I chose to go with blues, pinks, peaches to match the dp. Her hair was this really bright pink, but I decided it was too bright. So I muted it by following the tutorial on changing colors by Rachel of Color Me Copic. I got the color I wanted right away, love when that happens. :)
Last parts to my card are the embellishments. I used a light blue and a darker blue plastic/paper ribbon I purchased a few Christmas' ago. Cut them in to 3 strips each and braided them. Added two coral colored fabric flowers to the top and using the same brad technique I applied these to the centers of the flowers. . I stamped Imagine to the bottom of the card because I can't imagine doing this again.. LOL.. j/k I just thought it would be a nice sentiment to go with the mermaid. hehehe..
So sorry for the long post. Wasn't expecting to write so much. :/
I'm going to try to visit some blogs to see what pretties everyone has been working on. Mahalo for stopping by and I hope you get a chance to play with sprays. hahaha!!
************
Supplies:
Papers: White cs-Neenah; dark blue cs-Kelly paper
Stamps: Mermaid Anya-TGF; sentiment-Fiskars
Inks: Tuxedo black-Memento; refills R20,21,B000-Copics;Pacific Point re-inker-Stampin' Up
Copics: E93,95;RV04,06;R83;C0;YG03;B12,66
Light & Dark blue paper ribbon
Blue pearl stickers-Recollections
Silver baby brads-Memories
Coral fabric flowers-Unknown

3 comments:

Doodlecraft said...

She's darling! You did great...I just want to see a picture of your hands! I tried this technique last night, and I looked like a wreck!
Way cool how you colored her scales!

donna mikasa said...

Wow, what an awesome technique, Leanne! DID you wear gloves? Love the tie dye look of your background! TFS!

Amy said...

Great job with the technique Leanne, that background is amazing! Mermaid Anya looks quite happy and perfectly at home!