Thursday, March 20, 2014

Altered clothes pin

Hello!

Happy 1st Day of Spring!!

Hoping you're actually enjoying some spring weather and not still battling winter.  We've been enjoying some warmer weather and looking forward to the cool down (70's - 80's) this weekend.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has alterable objects just waiting to be transformed in to something crafty and amazing, right?  I've got a blue clothes pin/picture holder (thanks Kathy) and it's been bothering me that I haven't done anything with it.  Mind you I'm not the altering type, but last night I decided to do something about that.  (lol)   I'm kinda excited to share this project.  After much hemming and hawing (OMG does anyone say that anymore? hahaha!!)  I came up with this...


Ta-da!!  :)  I turned it into a really cute photo holder.  Oh man, when I was done I couldn't stop smiling! This totally made me happy!  I was so hesitant with adding the flowers and the other elements then convinced myself that I should definitely take a chance and just go for it!  So I did and it was the best decision I convinced myself to do.  (I know its the little things, haha)  I used a lot of my stash to finish this and am so proud that I did.  I did use a new stamp, Double Cupcake Anya, from The Greeting Farm, but in my defense I've had it for awhile now so it goes in to the use what you have category.  :)  Isn't she adorable?!!  You really can't go wrong with a classic looking Anya stamp.  I took some close ups so you could see more details...


I thought it would be fun to use a doily on the back side of the clothes pin to give it a 3-D matte affect (yes I just made that up!)  I added yellow and aqua blue cardstock behind each doily to give it more color.  I used some aqua blue resin roses (Recollections) and that yellow sparkly flower (Prima) has tons of glitter.  Ai-ya there was glitter EVERYWHERE!!  (hahaha)  I would like to point out the stitching on the wooden piece. I used my white gel pen to do that!  I really like that detail, and on top I continued the stitching and added a heart. :)

In this next photo you'll see a close-up of the flat-backed pearls which I colored with Copic BG49.  You can also see how I fussy cut the computer generated sentiment and popped it up with dimensional foam tape.  I love that font (Heartbreaker), and when you fussy cut it leaving some white space around it the effect looks so cool! (yep, that's just my little ol' opinion - hehe) 


When I decided that I would add a doily on the back I wanted it to be sturdy enough so that it wouldn't tilt forward because it was so front heavy.  I had some leftover cardboard (not chipboard, I wanted something sturdy and chipboard was not going to cut it.) I really didn't want to cut 2 pieces of blue cardstock and have to glue it down to both sides of the cardboard so instead I did this...


Ta-da!!  Something super simple was what I was going for here.  Who says the backside can't also be cute? Not me! (haha)  I used Distress Ink (Vintage photo) to not only stamp Anya, but also to distress ink around her.  I kept the die on so it would give it a nice frame.  The die cut is a little bit smaller than the doily so you can also enjoy a little bit of the lace part.  I colored parts of her in with a Versa Mark pen and accented with a white gel pen.  The sentiment (from Make It Crafty) reads, "Wishing you the BEST day EVER!!"  Now that I think about it I could have done some doodling around the frame, maybe for the next one...  Yes I plan to make another one, or two...


I'm so happy with how the front as well as the back turned out because no matter which way you look at it all you see is cuteness. :)  That's all for me today, thanks a lot for stopping by!  Enjoy the rest of your day!!

*Seize the Birthday challenge

Here are the supplies:
Double Cupcake Anya rubber stamp (The Greeting Farm)  
Sentiment stamp (Make It Crafty)
Enjoy sentiment - computer generated
Aqua blue clothes pin (Michael's)
2 different sized doilies (Smart & Final (bigger one) & Bo Bunny (smaller one)
Yellow & aqua cardstock (Recollections) to back the doilies
Scallop circle dies (Lifestyle Crafts)
Flat backed pearls (Recollections) which I colored yellow and aqua with Copics (Y04 & BG49)
Aqua blue resin roses (Recollections)
Yellow sparkly flower (Prima)
Heart banner (LLLC)
Distress Ink - Vintage photo
Memento Ink Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Copics: various (Sorry I didn't write any of them down) 
Versamark pen
White gel pen 
Dimensional foam tape - (Recollections)
Double sided tape - (Daiso)

7 comments:

Blankina said...

Wow Leanne you were in a creative mood. Love this little project, great colouring too,
Hugs Blankina

Lynn said...

Oh yes! This is a cutie! I've always seen the big clothespins painted and with just a little embellishment, but I like your style way better. I have a plain giant clothespin that I will definitely look at with renewed interest. I like the pen stitching, doilies, and banner....I like it all! You made some great creative choices.

Denice said...

Looks like you won't be so shy to alter anymore! What a cute, cute clothespin! I love all of the classic Anyas...yet I don't have this sweetie?!! Thanks for the inspiration!
:Dxx

Creations by Shirl said...

Yes this is so very cute Leanne! The stamp is adorable and all the added details....

Rachel Parys said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! I just love clothespins of any size!! This is a great project!!!

Unknown said...

Leanne! You are always creative in altering things!! Who would have thought of this idea kicking up the clothespin a notch...LOL Simply beautiful and brilliant! I love all the spring colors it screams out at me! TFS!

Macarena said...

This is so cute!
Love the stitched banners.
Thank you for joining us at Seize the Birthday!
Hugs, Marzena DT