Thursday, December 4, 2014

My KBD DT Swap card

Hello!!

Today I'm back to share the card I sent to my swap partner, Michelle Nutter.  I decided to turn it in to a tutorial so this post will be choke full of pictures with some details.  So first I should share the card right?!  Okie dokes, here it is...


I wanted to create a card that was different than my usual.  I remembered a conversation Zoe, Make It Crafty owner, started in the MIC FB group regarding selective embossing.  Meaning emboss around the image without embossing it.   Does that make sense?  Well that's what I did with this card.  Yes, that white panel on the front is all one layer!!   I found this great video tutorial HERE which gives you the run down on how it all comes together along with some options on diffusers.  You can either purchase the TH diffusers or make your own.  Check out the video if my pictures below don't inspire you. (haha, don't worry I won't be offended, hahaha!)  I decided to make my own diffuser since I already had the chipboard and wanted to keep this as cost effective as possible. (Yes I was being cheap!! hahaha!!)

Here goes the tutorial:
Print/stamp your image(s).  Give yourself enough room to die cut and emboss around the image(s)

Santa Christmas PenguinHollie Christmas Penguin

Trim chipboard to same size as your printed image and use die to cut out your desired shape, thus creating a window.  You want to either make the diffuser bigger than the paper or else you'll emboss something that you might not have wanted to. 


Grab your embossing folder and put the stamped image inside.  Using washi tape adhere the chipboard over the image, keep the image as close to the center of the "window" as possible.


Create your sandwich for your embossing, die-cutting machine.  Here I used A & C and a few shims.  It worked out pretty well.  You'll have to experiment on this part, it varies on how deep you want the embossed part to look.


The end result... So cool!


Here's what I did for the rest of the sheet.  Used DI Spun Sugar, Milled Lavendar and Tumbled Glass. I also grabbed the cut out chipboard and placed it over my image to make sure I did not get any color on it.


Subtlety adding color using the sponge tool and circular strokes I went around the embossed area with each color making sure to space each color out.  With 1 color (Tumbled glass)


Here it is with two different colors (Tumbled Glass & Spun Sugar)


Here it is with all three colors...  Once you are satisfied with the inking you can remove the chipboard mask.


Here is the end result...   I forgot to take a picture of the die cut panel, but you get the gist of it right? Just check out the card at the top of this post to see what I mean.


I added that Season's Greetings laser cut sentiment from Island Scrapbooking which matched this card perfectly.  I also cut up some snowflakes using the CC Cutters from CC Designs.


Using a pink based card I matted a purple patterned paper and added some faux stitches with a white gel pen.  Oh and I also added some of those floral looking sequins.  I absolutely love how this turned out and I am so happy that Michelle did as well.  (Whew! Yay! hahaha)


Well if you made it to the end with out falling asleep cool!!  I hope you learned something new and will give this technique a go.  Thanks so much for stopping by today!!  Hope you have a fabulous day!

Challenge:
Doodle Pantry #35

6 comments:

Lynn said...

I had to read your post twice to get it but wow! that is a neat technique. Thanks for sharing it. I'm gonna try it for sure. You are so generous to share your how-to's. The card is subtle and lovely.

Denice said...

Thanks for the share! What a fun technique...definately worth trying. Such a fun card, your swap partner is going to love these sweet penquins.

Rachel Parys said...

You little smarty pants!! What a cool technique!! I don't use my embossing folders nearly enough, I may have to give this a go!! Adorable card!

eva said...

super duper duper cool! i love the colors and the snowflakes on here too!

NanaConnie said...

This is just so adorable, Leanne! Love how you did the colors on the background. Thanks ever so much for entering our challenge # 53 at Doodle Pantry this month and good luck in the draw.
NanaConnie DT

Crafting Vicky said...

This is soooo clever!!! love that embossing and how you have highlighted it!!!

Thanks for joining our monthly challenge here at Doodle Pantry challenge. Hope you will join us next time DT Crafting Vicky.